Photo II: Technique & Style Course
Designed to inspire intermediate photographers who are comfortable with the basics of photographic camera work (aperture, shutter speed and ISO). Take your work to the next level, both artistically and technically while participating in detailed demonstrations, hands-on exercises and constructive critiques. Discover your personal photographic style while photographing a variety of subjects under varying conditions. Explore different methods and types of photography including narrative photography, still life photography, histograms, color theory, portraiture, electronic flash basics, night time photography, time exposures and more.
Course Number: ART-40631 Credit: 3 unitsOBJECTIVE
- Improve composition and exposure techniques
- Develop ability to create compelling portraits
- Gain a basic comprehension of artificial lighting using off-camera lighting & light modifiers
- Develop understanding of photographing in low light levels using long exposure times and composited exposures
- Further develop a RAW workflow using Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Camera Raw and Adobe Photoshop software
- Learn to tell a story with photographs
Attendance is mandatory. Lectures, demonstrations, review and classroom critiques will occur throughout each class meeting. Because of this, arriving in a timely fashion is necessary. Lectures and demonstrations will not be repeated.
35% Attendance and classroom participation
30% Weekly assignments
35% Final portfolio of images
*Late submissions will be deducted 10% each day an assignment is due.
A = 90% - 100%
B = 80% - 89%
C = 70% - 79%
D = 60% - 69%
Information, techniques, demonstrations, slide lectures, discussions and critiques will be taught throughout the quarter. Students are required to attend all lectures. It is the responsibility of the student to get any missed information from other students in the class; you will not be emailed an entire lecture. Lectures will not be repeated. If you know in advance that you are not going to be in class, please talk to the instructor to make arrangements. Two or more absences will lower your overall grade as will consistently being tardy. If you will be absent, notify instructor by e-mail, in advance, if possible.
- Fully adjustable SLR, DSLR or prosumer digital camera required.
- Storage Device: Portable hard drive (USB II)
- Card reader (USB II or III)
- Photoshop CS 5 or later and Lightroom 5 is required. Photoshop CC is recommended. (Students receive discounts at UCSD bookstore, Adobe or other retailer.)
This website is intended to replace optional handouts that I have provided to students in the past. The content found on this site reviews some of the technical information that will be discussed in class. By no means does this site provide comprehensive coverage of the material discussed in class. Please note that I provide a number of online links within this website. At the time I created each page (or updated each page) the links were both working AND safe to click. However, I can provide no garantee that those conditions will withstand the test of time. Please feel free to email me with any concerns regarding the links I provide